I love this simple side dish with its perfect combination of beetroot and cumin.
When beetroot and cumin come together it's a marriage made in tastebud heaven
- 1.5 cups Beetroot
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp channa (yellow) dhal or split pea
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 green or red chili
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp tamarind syrup or pulp
- Peel the beetroot then grate it
- Pour the oil in the frying pan and turn the cooker plate on
- Chop the garlic small and add to the frying pan
- Add the channa (yellow) dhal or split peas to the frying pan
- Add the cumin seed to the frying pan
- Strip the leaves of the sprig of curry leaf and add to the pan. Be careful, they can spit so stand back.
- Add the whole red or green chilli
- Let all of this saute for 5 minutes, stirring it with the wooden spoon or spatula so the ingredients don't stick to the pan
- Add the grated beetroot to the frying pan and let it cook for 10 minutes, stirring now and then to stop it sticking to the pan
- Take the frying pan off the fire and leave the ingredients to cool for 10 - 15 minutes
- Put all the ingredients and the teaspoon of tamarind in the spice/coffee grinder or blender
- Blend till you have a smooth paste.
- Serve as a side dish with curry or as an entree dip with flatbread or vegetable sticks