Round Zucchini White Curry
Small round zucchini's in an unroasted spice gravy
- 8 small round zucchinis
- 50 gms onion or shallot
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 or 2 green or red chillies
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon (about 8 - 10 cm long)
- 500 mls thick coconut milk
- 1 lime
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Prick the 8 small round zucchinis all over with the bamboo skewer (or metal skewer or fork). This is to let a little of the curry gravy to seep into the zucchini as they cook. Set them aside.
- Grind the 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds and 1/4 tbsp fenugreek as fine as you can. Use a mortar and pestle. a fit-for-purpose spice grinder or a coffee been grinder.
- Chop the 50 gms onion or shallot into small pieces.
- Chop the 1 or 2 green or red chillies into small pieces.
- Make the 500 ml coconut milk by mixing 4 tablespoons of powdered coconut milk in 500 ml hot water. If using canned coconut milk mix 2 tablespoons in the hot water.
- Pour the oil in the saucepan and let it heat up a little.
- Add the onion or shallot and cook them till they soften.
- Add the mustard seed, garlic, chilli and turmeric.
- Strip the leaves from the curry leaf sprig and add them to the pan.
- Add the ground spices.
- Add the cinnamon stick.
- Fry this all up for a minute or two, moving it around gently with the wooden spoon.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini. If the gravy doesn't cover the zucchini that's fine. You can turn them over half way through the cooking.
- Cook on a gentle heat for 30 mines or until the zucchini skin can easily be pierced by the skewer of fork.
- Just before serving squeeze the lime over the zucchini and gravy.